Wednesday 14 July 2010

Cardi #1: Tempest

Having cut my knitting teeth (so to speak) on hats, scarves, mittens and tea cosies, I decided to plunge right in and make a cardigan. I saw a lovely pattern on knitty and finally found the perfect yarn to make it with.

The cardigan is knit flat and I chose pale yellow and turquoise shades for the stripes. Knitting it up was quick, fun, and easy - took me less than three weeks.


Sewing it up was a nightmare! I never want to sew seams again! Ever... I sewed it up according to the instructions, but my slipped stitches were quite loose and there were gaps. So I undid it and had another go. Then did the button bands and they were too tight so I had to have another go....nightmare!!

It looks fine now and I am proud of it, but it screams first-time handknit garment - i.e. a bit rustic.

However, I have learned from the experience! To begin with, I've decided that it's really worth the effort working out how to knit things in one continuous piece, which is what I'm doing with my current project.

I've also decided that I will probably give this pattern another try in the recommended weight (lace) at a later date.

With all that said, I am really enjoying wearing my new cardigan! And perhaps only I notice its faults because when I wear it I get a lot of compliments, especially on the shades which are beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment